Monday, September 8, 2014

A Day in the Life of Sorina Alexandru





"Every child is different and they have different needs too. So every day I learn something new, how to adapt to various situations and behaviors."

What made you decide on a career as a Teaching Assistant?

I like working with children and I wanted to try working in an educational environment. Before this I worked as an Au pair. It was my first job in London, and that was when I realised that working with children was my calling.



How many hours do you normally work per week?

35 hours per week.



How does your typical working day looks like?

I start work at 8.30am doing admin stuff and at 9.00am the children arrive. Usually I have a group of children I sit with during the input of the lesson and I have a different one for the activities. In the afternoon I work one to one with a child with special educational needs. I work with him for half an hour and after that I go back to the class for the end of the day routines.



What was the most complex assignment you ever had?

More than a year ago I worked with a severely impaired child all day long. I wouldn't say it was difficult, but I did find it challenging. I have a degree in Psychology and this helps me a lot when dealing with children with special needs.



I know working as a teaching assistant can be challenging sometimes. How do you handle difficult pupils?

I follow the school policy on behavior and I apply sanctions as required.



What have you learned from your working experience?

I have learned a lot about safeguarding children and about different ways you can help pupils who need extra support. But every child is different and they have different needs too. So every day I learn something new, how to adapt to various situations and behaviors.



Would you choose this career if you could make the decision again?

Yes. I find working with children very rewarding. I love being surrounded by them, it makes me feel accomplished.



What advice would you give to an individual who's starting a career in this field?

Choose a school which provides professional development courses and work with as many age groups as possible.


0 comments:

Post a Comment